Saturday, 4 March 2017

Part 1 | Which fabric is best for my hijab?

If you're a hijab wearer like me then you know that there are so many hijabs out there in a wide range of fabrics.  Some are thicker whilst others are ever so delicate you daren't take it anywhere near a washing machine!  But what about if you're completely new to hijab?  It can be pretty overwhelming.  Well, fear not!  I'm here to offer you some helpful advice and tips to make your transition a smooth one.


Today we're going to talk about fabrics.  The most popular hijabs for everyday are of course our Plain Jane hijabs which are made from a mix of cotton and viscose.  This means that they're super comfortable, won't slip around and definitely stay in place, come rain or shine.  This hijab has everything you're looking for in a hijab.  In terms of styling it, since the hijab is oversized you can go super simple of dress it up.  The choice is yours.  The Plain Jane hijab is not too thick either and not scratchy because trust me, if the fabric is even slightly itchy it will make you feel like ripping your hijab off there and then!


The Plain Jane Loves Cotton Wool hijabs are also lightweight, even though they are made of wool, there is only 15% in the fabric.  The majority of the fabric is cotton which is why this hijab is still very soft and breathable, and drapes beautifully too.  It works very well as a turban style and guaranteed to stay all day!  I've often worn my cotton wool hijab when attending a wedding and I never have worry about it having a life of it's own.


Next up is another popular hijab and it's the Plain Jane Got Tassels.  These are a firm favourite because who doesn't love tassels on a hijab?  Made of cotton and viscose they are very similar to the Plain Jane hijabs although ever so slightly thinner.  I think because I work with hijabs everyday I notice the difference but really, there's not much at all.  I would say if I were to compare the tassel hijab to the Plain Jane hijabs, then the Plain Jane has a little more structure than the tassel one.  And rightly so as the tassels need to be able to flow around the edge nicely.


The thickest hijab fabric would have to be the Jane Goes To Jersey.  Again like the rest this is very comfortable and with it being jersey fabric, it has a slight weight and stretch to it.  I don't mean that it's too heavy.  What I mean is that if you were to throw one side over your shoulder it won't keep falling off, like say a chiffon hijab might.  That bit of stretch also means you can shape it nicely around your face or even wear in a turban style.  This hijab would be great for when you're hitting the gym because it won't budge at all or fly around all over the place either.  Talking about flying around it's great for a windy day too!


And finally the Plain Jane is Gorgeous Georgette hijab.  This one came onto the scene some time last year and is great for just casually throwing over your shoulder.  And when you do, it'll give you some lovely pleats from your neck to your shoulder too.  These days the chiffon hijab is the most popular type of fabric to be worn with an abaya.  This hijab is very lightweight but not see through so you won't have to worry about your hair or under scarf showing through either.


And how could I forget the newcomer, the pleated hijab.  This one is great if you're looking to try out something new and add a little fun to your look.  You can play around with this fabric but I think the best way to wear this pretty hijab would be on the side, like Dina Tokio or fairly loosely.


In all honesty, once you start wearing a hijab, like everything else you'll come to know what suits you and makes you feel most comfortable.  I would advise you not to go and buy every single hijab in every single fabric and colour.  Experiment with different fabrics and styles, choose what works for you and go with that.  Once you are familiar with what you want then you can spread your wings a little further.  Eventually you'll know what works for you and you'll be able to make your buying decisions with ease.    

I hope you found this post helpful and if you have any questions feel free to ask me in the comments below.

P.S When writing this post I quickly realised that it was going to be impossible for me to talk about everything in one post.  So I decided to create a three part series based on a question that was sent to me by one of my lovely followers on Instagram.  Thank you to @sadaffirshad for the question.

Look out for part 2 where I talk about the best way to look after your hijab and some storage ideas too.  And of course part 3, where I go into more detail about underscarves and how to pin your hijab down.

Part 2 | How To Care For My Hijab & Storage Ideas
Part 3 | Underscarves & Keeping Your Hijab In Place



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Thank you for such an informative post! I feel enlightened and ready to shop for hijabs to keep me cool on holiday ;) Looking forward to the next two parts :) Sadaff x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you found my post helpful. Part 2 is now ready to read on the blog and Inshallah part 3 will be ready next week. x

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comments. Love, love, love reading them! :)

© Love Hijab Girl

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig