Friday, 17 February 2017

INSTA Q&A | Why did I start a hijab business?

You've probably already guessed what todays post is all about.  I mean, the title's given it away!  This post is yet again another one of your questions from Instagram.  This time it was sent in by @shafiamiah and it's one of those questions that's on everyone's mind.  (I ask the same question when I look at other entrepreneurs).  Want to know why?  Read on to find out...


How and why you decided to do a business with hijabs and accessories?  What made you go down 
this direction?

I have many reasons as to why I started this business, but looking back at the exact moment I started Love Hijab it was before I had my second baby.  

At the time I was baking cakes and I loved it.  In fact I still do bake from time to time because as any baker will tell you when you get the urge to bake then you just have to go and get your mixer and your cake tins out.  There's no stopping you!

But, I knew that with a 5 year old and a baby I wouldn't be able to continue baking.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a worrier at the same time so I thought about all the possibilities I could get into if I had an order to complete by a certain time and a baby to look after too.  Once a cake is in the oven you have to keep an eye on it and if my baby needs me just before the cake is almost done then my first choice would be my baby, but then what about the cake?! Not to mention the long hours I used to spend making all the decorations by hand in the evenings.  I just knew, for me that it was going to be too much to handle.  I seriously don't know how all you ladies with 3 or even 4 kiddies do it, but you do and for that I have utmost respect for you.  It's a hard job and only those who are cutout to do it, make it. I, unfortunately wasn't one of them. 

That's when I knew that I needed to do something where I wouldn't be spending long hours and it was easy!  Little did I know that even a hijab business is not easy and this too involves long hours!  But at least for me it was manageable.  I could leave the packing for later in the day when my little one needed me without worrying about it.  Along with that, I've also always loved fashion and style and this was me kind of dipping my toes into it.  


I started my business on 16th May 2013.  Seems like a long time ago now but I remember everything as if it were yesterday.  I put my heart and soul into everything, the images, branding, logo, everything!  But why hijabs? you ask.  Because I wear a hijab and I wanted to buy some for myself but couldn't find any I liked and at a reasonable price too.  It was too expensive for me since I wanted to buy a lot!  So I thought why don't I just sell them myself but at a more affordable price?  And so that's exactly what I did.

I can still remember when I got my first sale after my website went live.  We just parked up in our local Tesco car park and there it was waiting for me in my inbox.  You couldn't wipe the smile off my face if you tried!

You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but it's true that I started Love Hijab on my phone!  I learnt everything along the way and made Love Hijab my own so that when someone looks at my page or my hijab names and my packaging too, they know instantly that it's LOVE HIJAB.  I've always said I want to be different and not be the same as everyone else out there and so I'm very careful about what I select for Love Hijab.  I've always got something going on up there in my head.  It's crazy!  Trust me, if you had to look in there you'd get completely lost!  Ask my husband, he'll tell you!

Behind the scenes my business is still very simple.  I have no DSLR, no fancy lighting, no fancy gadgets.  It's just me and my phone and me just making the best of what I've got.  You don't have to have the latest technology to be amazing, you just need to be clever about how you utilise what you already have and what is readily available to you.

These days there are so many hijab companies online and in a way it's good because it forces me to stretch my creativity, to be one step ahead and to do even more.  Competition is good and there's room for everyone.  I love what I do Alhamdulillah and I'm so grateful to be able to continue my dream.  Thanks to you gals for supporting Love Hijab and keeping me going.  I know it's a bit cheesy, but without you, I really wouldn't be here x

BTW You still have time to grab yourself 15% off everything on Love Hijab with code: FIFTEEN this week?  Go on, you know you want to!



SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.
    Cocktail & Party Dresses

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments. Love, love, love reading them! :)

© Love Hijab Girl

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig